Saturday, February 6, 2010

Traffic laws: Are they for everyone?

The road was built for more than one mode of transportation. On any given road on any given time of day you will see bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars, small trucks, large trucks and slew of other modes of transportation. For most of these modes of transportation you need a license of some sort and you must obey the traffic laws or you will receive a citation. The two that don’t need them came up in a recent controversy in Oregon. Oregon was considering passing a law where bicyclists would now not need to stop at stop signs. When I first heard this, I was completely in favor of it. I ride my bike just about everywhere and find it tedious to have to stop at signs when there is no traffic. It breaks my concentration, breathing, induces cramping etc. I often find myself blowing through stop signs or jumping on the curb to save time or reduce the potential that I might meet a sign or any potential stoppages altogether. I thought about this a little longer after reading the town hall discussion for reasons both for and against it and came to a different conclusion. The issue with mopeds was raised and how they are a vehicle in which you do not need a license, but yet still have to obey traffic laws. They say that whatever traffic laws are put forth should be abided by everyone on the road. What do you think? Should bikers be allowed to blow through stop signs in our city?

1 comment:

  1. No I do not think bikers should be able to "blow" through stop signs. Remember the last time you stopped at a stop sign as a motorist only to proceed forward to find another vehicle speeding past you? Sometimes things "come out of nowhere". Don't be the example. Be safe! Obey all traffic laws and wear your helmit.

    ReplyDelete

Valley Forge Fitness's Fan Box